Organisation purpose / activities
Diya Ghar is an NGO with a heart for the migrant community. Diya Ghar started in 2016 with a vision for all children, irrespective of their economic status, to have access to stimulating and nurturing pre-school education. Until March 2020 we ran 3 Montessori Preschool and Day care Centres.
The pandemic changed the method of delivery – but not Diya Ghar’s heart for this community. In July 2020, we started Community Centres providing:
Early Childhood Education: Children are given holistic education using the Montessori method
Nutrition: Every day children have lunch, milk, eggs, fruit, protein bars.
Health & Child Care: We conduct quarterly health camps and support children who need treatment. We also provide clothes, slippers, blankets and hygiene kits.
- Children who attend regularly receive their daily nutritional intake and fall ill less often.
- There is a 9X improvement in the oral hygiene.
- There is a 10X improvement in personal hygiene.
- Over 60% of children who attend regularly meet or exceed expectations in all areas of learning – Spoken English, Written English, Math and Kannada.
- Over 90% of parents of children who attended regularly have committed to continue their education.
- Over 75% of children who graduate enrol in Primary School.
Extent of focus in Bengaluru
Currently serving 650 children in 13 Communities in Bangalore